We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Managing Counsel
Mastercard is planning to set up a company ( Licensed Entity) to operate domestic bankcard clearing business in China. A legal team will need to be established within the Licensed Entity, and will be responsible for supporting the Licensed Entity bankcard clearing business and help manage issues related to licensing, franchise, contracts with key stakeholders, marketing and promotions, related products and services offerings, regulatory and legal affairs, compliance, AML, restructurings, dispute resolutions, supporting the Licensed Entity board of directors and management teams, and other day-to-day operational issues.
• Responsible for all legal aspects of the business of Licensed Entity that will include but not limited to that in the bankcard clearing business in People’s Republic of China and also responsible for other work, including project based work which will be assigned.
• Supporting application for regulatory licenses and be responsible for on-going compliance with applicable laws and regulations through a compliance framework to be established.
• Responsible for supporting the business teams particularly in terms of contracting and managing review and negotiation of contracts with customers, merchants and suppliers.
• Assist Licensed Entity management teams in the management of legal and commercial risks.
• Dealing with jurisdictional and commercial complexities in People’s Republic of China that impact the Licensed Entity's business (accordingly, the nature of the legal function includes a commercial and strategic dimension).
• Deploying training/monitoring of Law Department policies and contracts such as contract and compliance training.
• Managing relationships with external counsels.
• Coordinate company corporate secretarial services for the Licensed Entity.
• Be a trusted advisor to the Licensed Entity’s board of directors and management team.
• Be a strategic thinker.
All About You
• Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor from an established and reputable law school in the People’s Republic of China.
• Post-graduate qualifications (eg. Masters at Law or LLM in an English environment) from an established university and/or work experience outside People’s Republic of China in an established financial center, will be considered favorably.
• Relevant post-qualification experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable law firm and an MNC. In-house experience in an MNC is mandatory, whilst we will also consider experiences with a sino-foreign joint venture company.
• Fluent in both English and Mandarin (both oral and written).
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team, as well as capable of leading a team.
• Must be able to strike a balance between the two principal objectives of being a facilitator to the business and protecting the interests of the company.
• Hands-on and willing to roll-up his/her sleeves. Quick learner, ability to grasp complex new business concepts, Good commercial acumen and creative approach to problem-solving.
• Regulatory experience in the People’s Republic of China, particularly with the PBOC, CBRC will be highly valued.
• Knowledge of banking or financial services industry: ideally cards, payments, settlement etc.
• Experienced in handling privacy and competition law issues.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact [Confidential Information] and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.