- Assists with the development, maintenance and update of a detailed Department Operations Manual that reflects Policies & Procedures, work processes and standards of performance within the Division. Ensures annual review to accurately reflect any changes.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Food and Beverage Business Plan ensuring Divisional Objectives fully address business objectives of the hotel and needs of employees.
- Assists with the preparation and regular update of the Food and Beverage Departmental Budget, in close cooperation with the Executive Chef, ensuring targets are met and costs are effectively controlled.
- Ensures that all Kitchen forms and reports are forwarded in time to the Corporate/ Divisional Food and Beverage Departments.
- Ensures accurate maintenance of recipes, conversion recipes, yield tables and product specifications.
- Ensures that all Outlets Kitchens and Banquet Kitchens are managed efficiently according to established concept statements and brand standards.
- Monitors service and Food and Beverage products qualities in all outlets and banquets.
- Works with all Chef de Cuisine, Outlet Managers and Banquet Service Manager to take corrective action when necessary to ensure Concept Statement and Standards of Operation are maintained to agreed standards.
- Establishes and implements performance standards for the Commissary Kitchen and closely works with the Materials Manager to establish and maintain a streamlined and efficient operation of the Commissary Kitchen.
- Establishes, implements and controls performance for the Stewarding Operation in Kitchens, Restaurants and Bars so as to achieve the highest possible hygiene standards, minimise Operating Equipment Breakage and streamlined and efficient resources and equipment flows.
- Conducts frequent and thorough inspections together with the EAM - Food and Beverage.
- Frequently verifies that only fresh products are used in Food and Beverage preparation.
- Frequently tastes Food and Beverage in all outlets and is demanding and critical when it comes to Food and Beverage quality.
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Food and Beverage and supports all Food and Beverage marketing and up-selling activities.
- Ensures services provided by the department are always available and are always carried out to defined Standard with the utmost efficiency, consistency and courtesy as detailed in the Department Operations Manual.
- Spends time in the Outlets (during peak periods) to ensure that the outlet kitchens are managed well by the respective Outlet kitchen team and meeting the brand standards and guest expectations.
- Is demanding and critical when it comes to food qualities and service standards.
- Continuously seeks ways to assist the Outlet management to maximise their revenues and profits through Food and Beverage products.
- Monitors and analyses the activities and trends of competitive restaurants, bars and other hotel’s banqueting departments.
- Participates with the preparation of a yearly marketing plan for each outlet, which is the basis of the Food and Beverage Annual Marketing Plan.
- Ensures that all Outlet Management Teams and Catering Department are fully aware of market needs and trends and that their products meet these requirements.
- Exercises efficient Payroll Management/ Resources allocation through the establishment of a flexible workforce throughout the Division. This will be based on the principles of a flexible employee base (Full Time & Part Time employees), multi-skilling and multi-tasking.
- Reviews and constantly seeks Productivity level improvements of all employees through the process of taking work out of the system (when appropriate) and through streamlining of work process.
- Focuses attention on improving productivity levels and the need to prudently manage utility/ payroll costs within acceptable guidelines, ensuring optimum deployment and energy efficiency of all equipment.
- Ensures new technology & equipment are embraced, improving productivity whilst taking work out of the system.
- Recruits, selects, motivates and develops a Kitchen team to work following the operational, financial, administrative philosophies and ensuring employees are multi skilled and perform multi tasks.
- Through hands-on management, supervises closely all Chefs and Outlet Managers in the performance of their duties in accordance with Policies & Procedures and applicable laws.
- Delegates appropriately duties and responsibilities to equipped and resourceful employees, nurturing and developing them whilst ensuring standards of operation and safety are maintained.
- Instils and supports the Training initiative and philosophies of the company and works closely with the Training Manager in developing a team of active Departmental Trainers.
- Ensuring that all Managers and Team Leaders take an active role in the training and development of employees.
- Develops and assists with training activities focused on improving skills and knowledge.
- Ensures employees have a complete understanding of Rules & Regulations, and that behaviour complies
- Monitors employee morale and provides mechanism for performance feedback and development.
- Conducts annual Performance Development, providing honest and appropriate feedback.
- Effectively communicates guiding principles and core values to all levels of employees.
- Ensures all employees maintain an up-to-date awareness of hotel product knowledge, current promotion, policy changes and appropriate internal communication.
- In the absence of the Executive Chef, represents Kitchen on the Hotel Executive Committee, ensures the efficient and smooth operation of the Kitchen Department providing services and support to other Divisions as required.
- Attends and contributes to all Meetings as required.
- Ensures all employees provide courteous and professional service at all times.
- Handles guest and employee enquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, reporting complaints or problems if no immediate solution can be found.
- Is knowledgeable in statutory legislation in employee and industrial relations, understanding and strictly adhering to Rules & Regulations established in the Employee Handbook and the Hotel’s policies concerning fire, hygiene and health & safety.
- Is actively involved in the welfare, safety, development and well-being of employees providing advice, counselling and truthful, diplomatic feedback.
- Ensures high standards of personal presentation & grooming.
- Maintains positive guest and colleague interactions with good working relationships.
- Exercises responsible management and behaviour at all times and positively representing the Hotel Management Team and Hyatt International.
- Responds to requests to undertake any reasonable tasks and secondary duties and to changes as dictated by the Hotel, industry and company.
- Works together with the Food and Beverage team, encourage creativity, supporting marketing and up-selling activities.
- Establishes and implements performance standards for the Commissary Kitchen and closely work with the Materials Manager to establish and maintain a streamlined and efficient operation of the Commissary Kitchen.
- Encourages the Assistant Director of Food and Beverage to be creative and supports his/ her marketing and up-selling activities.