Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centred on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
The Gtrater China Region (GCR) Compensation and Benefits Manager is responsible for designing, consulting, and implementing compensation and benefits programs that support Microsoft's strategic goals in GCR.
This position acts as the senior lead for Compensation and Benefits in the region and acts as a consultant to HR (Human Resources), senior and line managers. Each challenge and opportunity is unique and requires expertise and judgment in making decisions - many of which have long-term legal and cost impact to the subsidiary and/or Corporate.
This role is a member of the GCR HR Leadership team as well as the International Compensation and Benefits Leadership team. This position is responsible for providing long term competitive advantage to Microsoft in terms of candidate attraction and employee retention through leading edge Compensation and Benefit programs. This position holder will lead a team and acts as coach and mentor not only to the immediate team members but also to the broader HR team in the GCR region. This position requires travel 10-20% of the time.
knowledge, skills and abilities
- Responsible for GCR Compensation and Benefits Program development, implementation, and improvement.
- Partner with the corporate and local country HR teams to share knowledge and develop local plans to implement global compensation and benefits initiatives.
- Acts as the Compensation & Benefits lead for Annual Rewards Allocation process, Annual Salary and Benefits Planning, Benefits plan design and Sales Incentive Compensation Plan processes for the Area.
- Partner with Market Analysis, Reporting and Tools team to ensure local competitive market data is analysed annually, results interpreted accurately, and strategic action plan is built.
- Identifies market trends and develops proposals to ensure that MS remains competitive considering those trends.
- Drive understanding for our sales and services incentive compensation within GCR, including understanding, evangelizing the details of the plans, and partnering with World Wide Incentive compensation organization on incentive plan design and implementing within the Area.
- Ensure cost, compliance, and competitive positions in the local markets regarding Compensation & Benefits. This position acts as a consultant to HR and executive management on benefit related issues and programs for the Area.
- Identify areas of long-term strategic development with the compensation and benefits environment, build business cases and support their implementation.
- Research issues and develop compensation and benefits solutions to key business challenges.
- Working with senior managers to build a detailed understanding of the compensation and benefits environment in line with business strategy.
- Develop and deliver communication and feedback mechanisms to enhance employee and manager knowledge of compensation and benefits philosophy and programs.
- Establish and maintain a close partnership with Country Finance team members in the areas of budgeting, sales planning process, and setting up and managing processes around exception request for compensation.
- Review of regulatory/statutory provisions and make program changes to ensure compliance.
- Become an external representative to the community and industry by attending compensation and benefits forums to gain knowledge of best practices and the competitive landscape in compensation and benefits.
- Recommend creative solutions for complex compensation and benefits issues in GCR. Accountable at the country level for approval of compensation and benefit program implementation decisions in accordance to governance model. Develops proposals and presentations for global and corporate leadership.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current employment legislation in GCR and Employer of Choice Compensation and Benefits Practices.
- Responsible for conducting Area education/training on compensation programs and practices.
- change management - the ability to define and implement procedures and/or technologies to deal with changes in the environment. this may include adapting to change, controlling change, and/or affecting change.
- negotiations - the ability to achieve mutually satisfying agreements in negotiations with others by listening to their objectives, acting as the company's representative to effectively communicate the company's objective, and seeking common ground and collaborative solutions.
- business acumen - the ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. this includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- consulting - the skill to influence others, develop and maintain working relationships, and deliver results and/or expertise for a client in a professional manner.
- market research - the ability to gather intelligence regarding specific products, attitudes, compensation, services, etc. and interpret it for the purposes of business decisions.
- data analysis - the ability to systematically gather information from a variety of sources, analyze information, identify implications of data, draw conclusions, generate alternatives and solutions, and evaluate the consequences of choosing each alternative using quality metrics and data. this includes the ability to convert general data and findings into applied, specific information and suggestions that add value to business planning and strategies.
- compensation - knowledge of principles and application of compensation methods, programs, policies, and practices. this includes knowledge of regulatory laws affecting compensation plans for multi-country markets and operations.
- compensation design - knowledge of and the ability to design compensation programs for an organization.
- compensation planning - the ability to anticipate future compensation requirements and determine the necessary actions for desirable outcomes.
- compensation trends - the ability to stay abreast of compensation trends in the marketplace including competitor practices as well as the ability to analyze compensation and job data that exhibits an ongoing pattern. this includes the ability to forecast future compensation issues and demands.
- sales compensation - knowledge of sales compensation principles and the ability to apply them to compensation program design and delivery.
- compensation analysis - the ability to conduct compensation analysis. this includes the abilty to gather and interpret compensation data.
- benefits knowledge - knowledge of the major benefits areas, including medical, pharmacy, dental, life, disability, employee assistance program paid time off, retirement. this includes knowledge of industry trends, plan terms and legal language, and best practices.
- benefits presentations - the ability to present benefit issues to employees on behalf of the plan in a clear and understandable manner. this includes the ability to present to all types of employees (for example, orientation for new hires, open enrollment meetings) and respond to questions and difficult situational issues.
- benefits packages - knowledge of components of employee benefits packages. this includes knowledge of the cost and utilization of current benefits offered to employees as well as benefits packages offered by competitors.
- global c&b program management - the ability to create and execute c&b programs globally. this includes the ability to develop and implement program infrastructure (for example, job analysis/evaluation, compensation band management, and communication) aligned with business needs and talent strategies, assess program effectiveness given local markets, and suggest changes to the compensation program.
- legislation awareness - knowledge of current legislation as it relates to the company and the ability to maintain an ongoing analysis of the impact of such developments on internal practices and products.
- budgeting - knowledge of and the ability to develop and utilize budgeting guidelines, practices, and techniques, including forecasting. this may include the knowledge of the department's procedures and reporting systems to establish financial budget information at an appropriate organization level.
specific technical / functional knowledge:
- bachelor's degree required, master's degree or equivalent desired.
- 12+ years experience in compensation and benefits desired.
- this role requires strong cross-team collaboration, executive presence, and organizational agility. it must drive coordination and accountability to key stakeholders across the broader business.
- familiarity with sales incentive compensation in an environment that has a strong sales focus is a plus.
- the candidate may have worked in different industries and/or consultancy.
- microsoft office excel and microsoft office powerpoint skills required.
- delivering presentations in front of international and senior audiences.
- an understanding of job evaluation principles would be beneficial.
- fluent english with additional language skills an advantage.
- must be willing to travel.